“Workin’ 9 to 5, what a way to make a livin’ ”. It worked for Dolly Parton but its seems a 9 to 5 job no longer works for 87% of the UK.

Men especially are shying away from traditional working hours, instead opting to work from home or choose hours that fit around their lifestyle.

A study of 3,000 adults by employment service Timewise found that 84% of men with full time jobs either now work flexibly or would like to.

The main reason male workers are choosing flexible work patterns is to have more control over their work/life balance.

The second most popular reason was to cut down their commuting time.

More time for childcare, leisure and study were some of the other reasons stated in the study.

Despite the increased demand for flexible hours Timewise says the UK’s job market is “out of step” with how the British labour force is currently working.

Karen Mattison, joint CEO of Timewise, said: “The fact that flexible working has been seen as a women’s issue has not done women or businesses any favours.

“The research shows once and for all that flexible working is a preferred way of working for both men and women at all stages of their working lives. “Today’s workforce not only want it, but they expect it. It’s time for businesses to get smarter and use flexibility as a tool to attract and keep the best people.

It’s time for businesses to get smarter and use flexibility as a tool to attract and keep the best people.

Karen Mattison, joint CEO of Timewise
Atom 294 lives here

“Those who lag behind in adapting how they hire, will risk losing out on millions of skilled workers”. 

The survey found 63% of all UK adults already work flexible hours. 

Of these, 60% say it is included in their contract whereas the remaining 40% have agreed it with their employers informally. 87% of self-employed workers choose to work outside of the traditional hours.

EY - an accountancy firm- supports the findings of the research. 

Lynn Rattigan, chief operating officer at EY UK & Ireland, said: “Today’s new research shows there is clear demand from the UK workforce for flexibility – people of all ages want it and need it throughout their life and career. 

“What’s more, the working world is being transformed by advances in technology with the rise of the gig economy and a flexible working policy is no longer enough. 

“Smart companies are already adapting by hiring flexibly, designing roles and working patterns creatively, and using more contingent workers – overall, establishing an agile working workforce and culture fit for the future.

EY suggest that flexible working hours help to improve motivation among a workforce and can often be a key reason for joining or staying with a company.