Consumers are almost universally happy with their mobile banking services – but one in three wouldn’t hesitate to switch banks if they had a bad experience.

A survey by Juniper Research found 98% of UK mobile banking customers are either “very happy” or “quite happy” with their service.

But banks need to stay on top of their game, as 31% of mobile banking users would consider jumping ship following a bad experience.

Analyst firm Juniper said its research suggests that UK consumers place far more importance on mobile banking services than users in the US.

The survey found that only 16% of American consumers would consider leaving their current bank.

According to Juniper, while 70% of UK banking customers now use mobile banking, a lack of trust in online services is the main thing holding back the other 30%.

Women are more likely than men to use a tablet for online banking, according to Halifax. Image by Eugenio Marongiu/Shutterstock.com

Non-users also showed a preference for engaging with their bank in different ways, including using in-branch services.

Bilgo has previously reported how men and women like to manage their finances on different devices.

A survey by Halifax found that men are more likely to log in on a desktop computer, while women are more likely to use a tablet.

64% of men use a desktop to access online banking, compared to only 58% of women. 30% of women use a tablet but just 23% of men do the same. 

Men and women are equally likely to use smartphones to check their account, according to the research, with women doing so more often – logging in 16 times a month compared to 14 for men.

Halifax also found that 18 to 24-year-olds are the group most engaged with their finances, accessing online banking via their mobiles an average of 17 times a month.

Nick Williams, Halifax’s consumer digital director, said: “Online we’re continuing to see customers moving towards managing their money in the ways that they find most convenient. 

“Because of the ease of logging in through apps, we expect to see continued growth in people banking via mobile devices – particularly smartphones – with a further move away from desktop as adoption increases amongst older generations.”